The Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) parent group at Ohlone works with teachers, students, and staff to raise awareness of various aspects of social and emotional learning.
During Shelter-in-Place, social-emotional skills are needed more than ever.
- Here are Mindfulness videos and activities for kids.
- Every Tuesday at 5pm, parents can join a guided meditation/reading and chat – click here for more information.
- Use this Fact Sheet for Safe Distance Learning with your children. Reach out to your teacher for more resources. (from the PTAC SEL page)
Ohlone has long fostered social emotional learning – it’s in the fabric of each classroom, as described in this article by former principal Bill Overton. There are specific SEL skills that children are encouraged to foster by the time they graduate (sometimes using this rubric), and these are reflected in the Core Values as well as the Ohlone goals.
The Ohlone SEL representatives meet monthly during the regular school year with representatives from other PAUSD schools to discuss SEL strategies happening across the district. Parents are encouraged to participate and learn more!
Here are a few initiatives related to SEL that are happening at Ohlone:
- Summer SEL Online course
- Many teachers provide in-class mindfulness through Mindful Schools, Project Happiness, Project Resilience (through Acknowledge Alliance), and Zones of Regulation. Also, in the past: 6 seconds, Project Cornerstone, Kimochis
- We have an on-site psychologist as well as counselor
- Lunchtime drop-in mindfulness for students
- Occasional lunchtime and after school mindfulness, self-care, and other sessions for staff
- Play and project-based learning in the classroom
- After-school: yoga, pathfinders nature mentoring
- SEL at Core Values Committee meetings
- LIbrary – coloring and calming activities
- PE and recess conflict resolution, play-based problem solving, and Playworks curriculum
- Other activities throughout the year, such as Kindness Day, Unity Day
Have more ideas? Want to contact us? Contact Agnes or rani.